Thursday, June 17, 2021

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (Frank Zappa) (LP 626 - 627)

Frank Zappa  Waka-Jawaka Hot Rats (Vinyl/ CD, Reprise Records and Rykodisc, 1972) *****

The Mothers  The Grand Wazoo (Vinyl/ CD, Reprise Records and Rykodisc, 1972) ****

Genre: Alternative rock 

Places I remember: The Waka-Jawaka record came from the World Record Club I used to belong to and The Grand Wazoo album from Real Groovy Records. The CD triple pack (these two plus Hot Rats) was from HMV in Oxford St.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Big Swifty

Gear costume: Your Mouth/ It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal

Active compensatory factors
: I always link these two in my imagination - released months apart in 1972 while Frank was convalescing following his assault (pushed off a stage in London).They both feature big band versions of The Mothers doing mostly instrumental songs.

Waka Jawaka is one of my all time favourite albums. It does it all without any smut and the enhanced musicians play their socks off. 

I'm not sure why it's linked to Hot Rats in the title as it has very little in common with that also classic Zappa album.

The Grand Wazoo doesn't hang together in the same way for me. Waka Jawaka has a personality and a cohesiveness that Grand Wazoo lacks (in my very subjective opinion).

Where do they all belong? In the conceptional continuity of Frank's albums. Much, much more, to come yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment