Thursday, May 13, 2021

Somethin' goin' on (BS&T) (LP 617)

Blood Sweat & Tears   Child Is father To The Man (Vinyl, Columbia Records, 1968) ***

Genre: American pop/rock 

Places I remember: Just For The Record (Napier- NZ). Bought a couple of years ago so this is a reissue version from 2016.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know

Gear costume: Somethin' Goin' On

Active compensatory factors: This was the band's debut record in 1968 and is very different to the rest of their stuff, mainly thanks to Al Kooper, both his voice and songs.

Fundamentally, he launched the band and recruited players to supplement his big band ideas (loads of horn players appear on this - including Randy Brecker).

It's the only BS&T album that he appears on though as he was subsequently kicked out. Poor Al.

Of course, I knew nothing of this album's existence when I came into contact with BS&T initially. That was as a teenager and my dad who liked the David Clayton-Thomas led singles: You've Made Me So Very Happy and Spinning Wheel.

So at the time I filed BS&T away as 'dad's music'. It wasn't until a few years ago that I put their appearance at Woodstock in context of the times and realised - this could also be my music. So that piqued my interest and I started collecting their albums. And there are quite a few!!

Having said all that, it's still the David Clayton-Thomas era that reasonates more with me and this album feels like the anomaly. 

Where do they all belong? This is the start of what will be a lengthy trawl through pretty much the whole BS&T catalogue, but this first one is a stand alone in their back catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment