Monday, May 17, 2021

Moonbeam (Joe E Covington) (LP 618)

Joe E Covington Fat Fandango (Vinyl, Grunt Records, 1973) ***

GenreGrunt Records (American pop/rock) 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Hideout (A Crook's Best Friend)

Gear costume: Country Girl

Active compensatory factors: I knew of Covington mainly as the Jefferson Airplane's drummer between Spencer Dryden and John Barbata. A brief time span that included work on only one and a half JA albums.

I wasn't aware of the solo album until I did some research on the Grunt catalogue to see what I was missing. Real Groovy came to the rescue with Jack Bonus and this, and so now I only have two Grunt albums to find (by One and Jack Traynor).

Joe's solo work isn't much in keeping with the JA stuff (his Pretty As You Feel is a standout on Bark). Instead there are homages to doo-wop and more experimental song styles/formats. Hideout, for instance, grooves along and ends with a drum solo!! Cool!

Where do they all belong? This was only solo album - tragically he was killed in a car accident in 2013. 

For his work with Jefferson Airplane (where he's known as Joey Covington) I can recommend: Bark, and Long John Silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment