Sunday, February 7, 2021

Because I should (Dan Auerbach) (LP 562)

Dan Auerbach Keep It Hid (CD, Nonesuch Records, 2009) ***

GenreAmerican pop/ rock 

Places I remember: Donated copy from the Hope family 

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The Prowl

Gear costume: My Last Mistake

Active compensatory factors: I enjoy The Black Keys like I enjoy The White Stripes, in that I think I enjoy the idea of them (drums and guitar minimalism) a little more than I do their music. It's good but I kind of don't quite see what the fuss is all about.

This was Dan's first solo album and although he rounds it out with plenty of supporting musicians, it still sounds a lot like The Black Keys to me.

My other slight problem with it is its length: 14 songs but it feels like more for some reason.

Given that, there are some good songs here: the Led Zepp-esque Heartbroken, In Despair and Because I Should are other favourites.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone album (along with El Camino, my only Black Keys one), as in I haven't any great need to buy more of his solo albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment