Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The lone wolf (Kathleen Edwards) (LP 387)

Kathleen Edwards Failer (CD, Zoe Records, 2003) ***

Genre: Country 

Places I remember: HMV Oxford Street, London


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Six O'Clock news





Gear costume: Sweet Little Duck

Active compensatory factors: Nick Hornby featured a song from this album in his 31 Songs collection of essays, and that probably resulted in scores of loyal readers following up, as I did, and buying the album.


Turns out it's a good but not great country and western album (more western than country - whatever that means) and I've stuck with it. Which means it has a distinctive personality as an album, she's likeable as a singer/ story teller, doesn't outstay her welcome and the music rewards repeat listens. 


Where do they all belong? UltimatelyI think I'll be sticking to my Mary Chapin Carpenter, Dixie Chicks and Taylor Swift albums, but I won't be getting rid of this CD either.

No comments:

Post a Comment