Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Funky music sho nuff turns me on (The Temptations) (LP 294)

The Temptations All Directions (Vinyl - Tamla Motown, 1972) ***

Genre: Soul 

Places I remember: Chaldon Books and Records (Caterham on the hill), last week.  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Papa Was A Rolling Stone





Gear costumeThe First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face)

Active compensatory factors: My eyes lit up when I spotted this at my now regular trawl through the vinyl at Chaldon Books and Records.


I had this on cassette for many years and have long been looking for a vinyl replacement. And there it was - in pristine condition!

Made a remarkable album by it's inclusion of the 11 plus minute Papa Was A Rolling Stone, it also has a great rendition of First Time Ever

They are also savvy enough to include a version of an Isaac Hayes song - Do Your Thing.

On the more than faintly awkward side of things it also has the whiffy Run Charlie Run (about white flight, the Temps call out 'the niggers are coming' over and over. It's as yuck as it sounds!) and a terrible group pose photo on the back sleeve.

Where do they all belong? Hey - it's the early seventies. The Temps were aiming for social relevancy currency and largely got it with Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment