Tuesday, January 22, 2019

What could be nicer (mum the kettle's boiling) (Gilbert O'Sullivan) (LP 290-291)

Gilbert O'Sullivan Back To Front (Vinyl, MAM, 1972) ***
Gilbert O'Sullivan I'm A Writer, Not A Fighter (Vinyl, MAM, 1973) ***

Genre:  English pop

Places I remember: Charity shop in Caterham - on the High St. Bought both for 2 pounds.  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Get Down





Gear costume Claire, I'm In Love With You, Who Was It, 


Active compensatory factors: Hunky big G is a guilty pleasure for me, as I've pointed out before, and a seventies icon. So when I was fossicking through some vinyl in one of the local charity shops before Christmas, I couldn't resist shelling out 2 quid when I spied these two albums in pristine condition.

Clearly not played much, maybe someone was cleaning out a loved ones estate and came across these without realising what pop gold they were.

Gilbert is pretty effortless with his vocal style and definitely of his time. Would he get a look it in 2019? Would he eckaslike!

Except!! He did!!! Against all oddities on 24 August 2018, O'Sullivan released his 19th studio album Gilbert O’Sullivan  which entered the UK album charts at No. 20, his first UK charting studio album for over 40 years.

Enough to restore your faith in humankind!

So, put the kettle on, pop this slice of 1972 onto the turntable and let it work its magic all over again.

Where do they all belong? A distant innocent pop age that was so naff it was great and who cares if he will never ever be cool. Now, where's my woolly jumper with the big G on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment