Thursday, June 7, 2018

Magical mystery (John Di Martino) (LP 244)

John Di Martino Romantic Jazz Trio Magical Mystery (Vinyl - Venus Records, 2008) ***

Genre:  Piano Jazz

Places I remember:  Real Groovy Records (Auckland)


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Magical Mystery





Gear costume: the rest - being all Thelonious Monk tunes. 

Active compensatory factors: The arresting cover image snared me. And the vaguely Beatles inspired title. When I picked it up and read the back, I had to buy it.


The album is dedicated to two giants - Thelonious Monk and the Japanese writer Haruki Murakami. I'm a fan of both.

Having said all that, the brightest spot on the album is the one original track, as above.

It's not like the rest's bad or anything, it's just that if I'm going to listen to an album of Monk's music, I'll go to the source.

Where do they all belong? Modern piano jazz - that means it slots in beside Brad Mehidau in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment