Saturday, June 23, 2018

I feel good (Citizen Band) (LP 248-249)

Citizen Band Citizen Band (Vinyl - Polydor/ Mandrill, 1978) ****
Citizen Band Just Drove Thru Town (Vinyl - CBS, 1979) ***

Genre:  New Zealand rock/pop

Places I remember:  Marbecks Records


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: My Pohutukawa (from Citizen Band)





Gear costume The Ladder Song (a great single and off Citizen Band) and Rust In My Car (a good single of off Just Drove Thru Town)




Active compensatory factors: Second year at Auckland University and Greg Knowles and I fell head over heels for the smarty pants Beatles-esque fun rock 'n' roll of Citizen Band. Greg lead the cheerleading and he was spot on.

We'd been to a gig featuring Geoff Chunn's previous band (After Hours) and thought they were a promising band. 

Kevin Simms joined the party because he had a cassette tape of CB live at Westlake Girls' (I think it was there rather than the Boys' version). Of course, we were all big Split Enz fans so we were up for CB from the off.

Fair to say we all bonded over the music which was all grrrreat.

What a line up - The Ladder Song, Dig That Tex, My Pohutukawa, Julia, I Feel Good (showing the boys knew their kiwi music history), and capped off by the wig out that is Tex Goes To The Tinema (sic). It's a NZ music classic.

Second album syndrome hit them after that. Jay Lewis may have felt like a smart choice as producer but the glossy mix is underwhelming. Glyn Tucker Jnr shoulda done it again.

What a shame because Geoff Chunn's songs are worthy and the musicians are all ace faces.

Where do they all belong? In my heart forever. Dig that Tex!

No comments:

Post a Comment