Saturday, July 1, 2017

New dawn fades (Joy Division) (LP 121)

Joy Division Unknown Pleasures (Vinyl - Factory, 1979) *****

Genre: Alternative

Places I remember: Marbecks Records (Auckland)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: New Dawn Fades




Gear costume: She's Lost Control

Active compensatory factors: Everything about this record should be depressing - black unrelenting cover (where music is reduced to sound waves), songs without titles (and when they are revealled they are titles like Disorder, New Dawn Fades, Wilderness, She's Lost Control, I Remember Nothing) and a bleak history thanks to Ian Curtis' death, BUT, call me weird, somehow, I find this record curiously uplifting. Same curious thing happens when I listen to the blues.

I have good memories of listening to it during my last few years at Auckland University - the surreal sounds suited my academic reach as I studied a potpourri of poetry and drama and novels for my masters degree in English.

The bleak post punk Mancunian landscape was purely of my imagination. 

The mystery associated with the album - no band pictures (or even names), no song titles - gave it a deeply satisfying aura. I had to make all that stuff up in my head. 

Most definitely a case of unknown pleasures!

Where do they all belong? Closer is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment