Sunday, March 26, 2017

Tender when I want to be (Mary Chapin Carpenter) (LP 95)

Mary Chapin Carpenter   Stones In The Road (CD - Columbia, 1994) ****

Genre: Country (Slash/Rocker)

Places I remember: Kings Recording (Abu Dhabi)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Why Walk When You Can Fly



Gear costume: House Of Cards, Stones In The Road, Shut Up And Kiss Me.

Active compensatory factors: I can see why Columbia marketed the talented young Mary as a country artist. It's her voice which appeals to the realness musical quotient of 'country'.

BTW I saw a sign on a SUV tyre cover yesterday - said 'If it ain't country, it ain't music'. A knuckle-head sign but I get from whence it stems.

MCC is in touch with her feelings, but she also offers a check on the American pulse as well. I bet she don't put on no airs and graces in real life!

That all comes across in her music. House of Cards is about her parent's divorce (but not really), Stones In The Road is about growing up an American (but not really), and so on.

Where do they all belong? One of my fav compilations is her Party Doll and Other Favorites. Magical!

No comments:

Post a Comment