Sunday, October 9, 2016

Rock me baby (Aztecs) (LP 53)

Aztecs Live! at Sunbury (Double vinyl - Havoc, 1972) *****

Genre: Australia/NZ rock

Places I remember: St Kevin's Arcade, K Rd.,  Auckland

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: C C Ryder kicks us off, literally!! The sound isn't great on this historic video clip of Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs at Sunbury, but you get the idea. The man can sing! The man can play guitar!




Gear costume: Most People I know Think That I'm Crazy was the big hit for Billy and the song is fabulous live! Momma and Be Bop A Lula are totally gear!

Active compensatory factors: Sunbury '72 was kind of Australia's answer to Woodstock (except it featured NZ/Australian bands).

It was thanks to my Aussie friend Noel Forth that I discovered the joys of Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs. Noel is an wonderful, altrusistic guy who loves music and loves sharing his knowledge. He sent me a couple of his self compiled best of Aztecs tapes, that I still have! 

One thing lead to another and I managed to find Billy's  double live set second hand.

This is a monster of an album. The volume must have been huge - it feels a little like Motorhead's No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith in that the feedback/distortion is actually captured and makes these live versions throb and breathe. 

Where do they all belong? Nambassa was the NZ version of Sunbury/ Woodstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment