Thursday, November 21, 2013

Into this world we're thrown like a dog without a bone (The Doors) #102

The Doors Riders On The Storm/ Changeling (Elektra, EKM 45738, 1971)

Apparently (according to Ray Manzarek) this was the last song recorded by the members of The Doors with Jim Morrison. The single was released in 1971, shortly before Morrison's death, entering the charts on 3 July 1971, the day that Morrison died.

I have a very distinct memory of hearing this song for the first time. I was 14, waiting for my mother in the car outside an antique shop in Auckland when this song came on the radio. It was one of those moments of epiphany that come along from time to time. Something connected me to the song there and then.

In my head I immediately linked it to the Marvel comics character - The Silver Surfer. I don't know why (I was 14! Strange associations pop into my mind still) but I guess it was the rider/storm idea.

I didn't really consider the literal situation of the song - the killer on the road (I misheard this for years - thinking it was 'row' as in death row) and the sweet family who he'd kill - instead I was riding the cosmic storm as the Silver Surfer!

Being the teenage me - I also misheard those sound effects for years as well - I thought they were waves crashing on a beach!

The video below is the edited single version - some three minutes shorter than the album version. Just shows - if it's a great song it can stand up to rough treatment.

Hidden gem: The B side is also on LA Woman and not their strongest track - again - a worthy B side but nothing particularly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment