Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Blues in time (Mulligan/ Desmond) (LP 1002)

Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond Quartet  Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond Quartet (Vinyl, Verve Records, 1957) ****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: The Little Red Bookshop (Hastings)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Line For Lyons

Gear costume: Fallout

Active compensatory factors: This is a great mix of two different sax styles. Isn't it amazing - same instrument but wildly different tones and sounds.

Thanks to Dave Brubeck, I am much more aware of Paul Desmond than I am Gerry Mulligan. Desmond has that ultra smooth sound that he perfected inside the Dave Brubeck classic quartet, Mulligan is harsher by comparison, yet still well inside the cool school.

Sidebar: I am unashameably anti smoking and it really pisses me off how many jazz album covers feature the protagonist in various poses holding, or smoking a cigarette. Not smart. Not clever Gerry. I don't like it.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone album in the jazz section.

No comments:

Post a Comment