Friday, December 30, 2022

Sweeter for me (Joan Baez) (LP 989)

Joan Baez Gulf Winds (Vinyl, A&M Records, 1976) ** 

GenreFolk 

Places I remember: Record fair in Waipukarau

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Gulf Winds

Gear costume: Time Is Passing Us By

Active compensatory factors: An interesting album in that all the songs are written by Joanie, and those songs were written during Dylan's Rolling Thunder tour - a time of great creativity for both of them.

Being Joan, it's nicely introspective, with a sly glance at Bob (O Brother is a nice nod and deliberate reference to Dylan's O Sister), and autobiographical at times - the title track is a good example.

The music is pretty standard fare, except for Gulf Winds which has Joan return to a guitar/vocal combo to telling effect. The simple arrangement of Time Is Passing Us By and Stephanie's Room are more to my taste than the mid seventies band arrangements.

So, all up, I'm afraid it's a bit meh: interesting with some peaks, but not as memorable as some of her other seventies albums.

Where do they all belong? I've had a surge of appreciation for Joan and I'm still collecting her albums - I'm particularly keen to find a copy of Gone From Danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment