Sunday, July 31, 2022

One in a million (David Sanborn) (LP 860 - 861)

David Sanborn Band   Promise Me The Moon (Vinyl, Warner Brothers Records, 1977) **  

David Sanborn   Voyeur (Vinyl, Warner Brothers Records, 1981) ** 

Genre: Modern jazz 

Places I remember: Spellbound Wax Company (Gisborne)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles/ 
Gear costume: The Legend Of Cheops (from Promise Me The Moon)

Active compensatory factors
: Stevie Van Zandt categorises musicians into two camps - band guys and session guys.

Each has their pros and cons. The David Sanborn Band is definitely made up of session guys, so this sound like Attitudes basically - guys who play their instruments amazingly well, but struggle for a distinctive chemistry that unites them into a great group.

Promise me The Moon also has quite a few songs with vocals so it sounds even more like Attitudes.

Voyeur is from the eighties so the production is crap, and although everyone plays really well (again), it glides by on a studio sheen without ever hitting the heights.

Sanborn's sax style is also a bit too strident for my taste - think I'll still to Grover Washington Jnr!

So why did I buy them? Well I was in Gisborne as part of my job, I saw that Promise was made in 1977 and thought - worth a punt for $10. The owner suggested Voyeur - I liked the cover, so another punt.

Where do they all belong? These are the only David Sanborn albums in the modern jazz section. He may have done better ones but I'll never know - I won't be tempted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment