Thursday, July 7, 2022

Get down (War) (LP 852)

War  War Live (Vinyl, United Artists Records, 1973) *** 

GenreSoul 

Places I remember: Chaldon Books and Records (Caterham on the hill)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperbolesThe Cisco Kid

Gear costume: Get Down 

Active compensatory factors: It took me a few visits to Chaldon Books and Records before I purchased this one. 

I like the band, and there are lots more War albums to come when I get to them on CD (with and without Eric Burdon), but when I checked the cover it appeared there were only seven songs spread over four sides.

I know they like to stretch things out so I wasn't too surprised to see that Get Down lasts 20 minutes; All Day Music, Sun Oh Son, Slippin' Into Darkness each last around 10 minutes each.

Now this could be a great sign or it could be a boring self-indulgent sign. Hence my hesitation.

Luckily, the band were riding the crest of their peak years, so this turned out to be a good score for the most part!

That said, I still prefer the shorter ones. The six minutes of Cisco Kid is awesome - no fat on that one.

Where do they all belong? More to come when the CDs re-enter the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment