Friday, February 4, 2022

Nice work if you can get it (George and Ira Gershwin) (LP 793 - 794)

Frank Sinatra and Count Basie and His Orchestra  Sinatra-Basie (CD, Reprise Records, 1962) **

Frank Sinatra Sinatra at The Sands with Count Basie and The Orchestra (CD, Reprise Records, 1966) **

GenreJazz vocals 

Places I remember: Kings Recording (Abu Dhabi)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Fly Me To The Moon (in other words) (Sinatra At The Sands)

Gear costume: I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter (Sinatra-Basie)

Active compensatory factors
: I picked these CDs up in the Middle East and I'm not exactly sure why now. I'm not a fan of Basie's Big Band approach - my dad was. And he didn't like Sinatra, my mother did when she was young.

I think there was a degree of obligation - Sinatra live At The Sands sounded like a good idea but its comedy routines haven't aged well. As a product of its time, the booze culture has time capsule interest I guess, but it makes for uneasy listening.

Sinatra-Basie is also firmly rooted in the swing era. All up - not really my cup of tea.

Where do they all belong? As they say - one for the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment