Tuesday, August 14, 2018

When all is said and done (ABBA) (LP 261)

ABBA The Visitors (Youtube, released 1981) **

Genre: Scandinavian pop 

Places I remember: MNAC selection by Tommo 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: One Of Us





Active compensatory factors: Tommo's selection meant that the barrier was broken - I'd never listened to an album by the poptastic Swedish outfit before, until now.

Their last album, then, is my first - nearly 40 years after it was released.

How come? I hear you ask. In no particular order - the light vocals (no Grace Slick moves within cooee); the strings (and distinct lack of guitars); the synths (and distinct lack of guitars).

The verdict? I didn't mind the good bits: Giorgio Moroder-isms of The Visitors; One Of Us is effortlessly catchy; 

But the worst moments are pretty dire: I Let The Music Speak is a saccharine meh; the lightweight pop of much of the rest does nothing for me. 

I tried Tom, but there is no reformed ABBA fan lurking deep down in the psyche.

Where do they all belong? This is a one off - won't be tracking back through the catalogue. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment